But some days, I will confess, it really is just me. I've shared my top mistakes, now share yours with me!
- My contractor painted my kitchen walls yellow, my cabinets taupe, and my ceiling beige. I wanted linen walls, cream ceiling & taupe cabinets.
- —Guest Gerri
Sand-dune is really peach
- We painted the boys room what I thought was going to be a nice sandy color, I am horrible with those 1" square color swatches, after the first coat we soon realized that "Sand-Dune" was really just peach. Not ideal for boys. Lesson learned, always get a sample to paint on walls first.
- —Guest Mishka Cole
Self Stick Tiles
- Tried to use self stick floor tiles once years ago. They were on clearance so they didn't come with instructions so I just cleaned the floor, peeled off the paper, and stuck them down over the linoleum. The didn't stay in place and made an awful mess when I tried to remove them.
- —Guest Liz
Cat Leaves Rustic Decorating in Tatters
- I've always liked the "country look" that comes from hanging up bundles of dried herbs in the home. Problem is, our indoor cat is very much attracted to any kind of vegetation we bring inside (dried or otherwise). Once, I failed to take that into account when I hung up some dried herbs. I hung them from a mantle to which the cat -- if she really tries -- has access. Well, we came home from a weekend drive to find the dried herbs shredded up, all over the floor! The cat had had a field day tearing the bundles apart. A decorating idea quickly turned into a vacuuming chore.
- —Guest David Beaulieu
- My parents let me choose my own theme for my bedroom when they did a whole house redecorating (I was 12). I chose blue and lavendar floral curtains and bedskirts, and lavendar walls. I hated the color as soon as it was done - somehow it made the light ranch oak woodwork look orange and just clashed horribly. Worse yet, those bedskirts, curtains and lavendar walls stayed there through YEARS of my adult life, mocking me whenever I visited. To this day I don't like purple and can't stand the supposedly complementary combination of purple/lavendar and orange.
- When my daughter moved home in 2000, we painted the guest bathroom red...yuck red! Not only was it yuck red, it was flat paint yuck red. I've lived with this mistake for ten years before all my kids came to me rescue and painted it a nice "Cricket" eggshell green! Now I walk in just to enjoy the color and finish!
- —Guest nancy
purple puppy prints
- When my husband and I were newlyweds, some friends had let us borrow their awesome sofa until we could purchase our own. I had a brilliant idea to paint our apartment walls deep purple, and while I was out of the room, our dog walked through the paint tray, all around the room and all across the sofa. I panicked and tried to take the cushion covers off and wash them. They shrunk so badly that I couldn't get the cushions back in them. Thankfully, our friends were very understanding, but still ... I have never left another unattended paint tray while the animals or children are around.
- —Guest melanie