- Deciding on Decorating Goals
- Creating a Decorating Plan
- Discovering Your Style
- Incorporating Your Style into Your Plan
- Finalizing Your Plan
- Putting Your Plan into Action
- Sticking to Your Budget
- Staying Safe During Decorating
- Avoiding the Top Causes of Budget Problems
- Knowing When to Ask for Help
- All About Scale & Proportion
- Recognizing Balance in Design
- Creating & Defining a Focal Point
- Mixing Styles with Confidence
- Furniture Arrangement Made Easy
- Deciding on Interior Colors
- How Room Color Affects Mood
- Putting Together Your Color Palette
- Bringing in Patterns
- More Ideas for Decorating with Color
- Decorating Details that Count
- Update Ideas for Less Than a Starbucks Trip
- Redo a Room in an Afternoon
- Creating a Feature Wall
- How to Organize Shelves
- New Uses for Old Items
- How to Decorate Like a Pro
- The Truth About Decorating on a Budget
- The Problem with Decorating Magazines
- Finding Help for Free
- Hiring a Decorator on a Budget
- Hiring an Online Decorator
- Listing of Online Decorators
- Helpful Free Online Decorating Tools
Sometimes decorating a home can feel overwhelming, especially when your budget is quite underwhelming. These planning tools will help you decide on your needs, understand your style and get started decorating.
Staying on Track
It's easy to get sidetracked when decorating. Unforeseen problems often crop up, things can cost more than originally budgeted... and we see that [insert item here] that we just can't live without. Below you'll find tips (and wake-up calls) about how to stay on track - and on budget - when decorating.
Understanding Good Design Rules
Many of us rebels like to break the rules but when diving into uncharted territory (say when decorating a home for the first time?), the rules are there to help us. (And for our safety!) Decorating rules can be a good thing, resulting in good design, which equals a gorgeous home.
Choosing Color With Confidence
Color deserves its own category, because this is where a novice decorator often gets stuck. Our tips should help you move beyond basic beige and create a calm yet colorful home that reflects your style and your home's best characteristics.
Quick Changes, Big Style
It is often the little things that can make or break a room. Problem is, the little things are often overlooked. The articles below can inspired you to you pull together the details and freshen up a space fast.
Great Advice from the Pros
These articles don't fit in any one perfect category but are full of fantastic advice for all. So whether you consider yourself a novice decorator or a DIY diva, you should still gain much from the honesty and expertise shared within these pages.
If All Else Fails...
There's absolutely no disgrace in calling for help. I know HGTV makes it look easy, but decorating is hard, dirty work and takes lots of time and energy that many a homeowner doesn't have. Sometimes the best decorating decision you can make is to not DIY. Here's how to find the help you need, and still stay on budget.