Did you get a good night's sleep last night? That answer could very well depend on the type and age of mattress you slept on. There are so many choices now. You can pick the mattress that works best with you body and sleep style. These mattress types are currently the most popular:
- Innerspring. Innerspring mattresses make up the majority of mattresses sold today. They are made from steel coils which are wrapped separately or individually. A full size mattress should have at least 300 coils for comfort and support. Innerspring mattress cost and durability is based on the spring design, the gauge of steel used, and the number of coils (more is better).
- Memory foam. Memory foam is also called viscoelastic foam. It was developed by NASA as a byproduct of space mission research. Memory foam contours to each individual body and provides support and comfort. You can buy a solid foam mattress or foam topper. The toppers are the most inexpensive way to refresh an old mattress. Memory foam responds to body pressure and temperature and can sleep hot in the summer by retaining that temperature.
- Latex. Natural or synthetic Latex foam mattresses in solid or toppers can be purchased, Latex mattresses will support whole body with faster responses to changes in position than memory form . Latex sleeps cooler than memory foam and is more ecofriendly when natural latex is used. Latex is also resistant to dust mites, which is a bonus in certain areas of the country.
- Air and Flotation. Air and flotation mattresses have the advantage of being adjustable in support. Dual controls are also available for couples of different sleep needs. They provide support that can be adjusted as your needs change with age as well. These mattresses are lightweight and do not need turning.
- Water. Today's water beds are not like the old ones that gave you a night of seasickness is you changed position too often. Today's beds are a series of water filled tubes beneath cushioned top surface, providing a more stable sleep experience. The beds no longer need a heating system and don't need turning.
As you can see, mattresses today can fit a variety of needs and sleep styles. Me? I am a sleep on a board type person - the firmer, the better!