As these amazing and creative pumpkin ideas prove, there are a million and one ways to decorate a pumpkin. May these inspiring Halloween decorating ideas - that center around all things pumpkin, of course - encourage you to get festive this fall with your own beautiful orange orbs!
Stick It to Your Pumpkin
Though I don't mind carving, all of the pulp and seeds can be kind of messy. It's easier, faster and safer for little fingers to stay on the outside of a pumpkin when decorating. If you would rather not wield a knife this season, these pumpkin ideas are sure the please.
- Candy Decorated Pumpkin via Real Simple
- Upholstery Tack Pumpkin via Hymns & Verses
- Button Pumpkin via Better Homes & Gardens
- Paper Leaves Pumpkin via Good Housekeeping
- Spider Web Pumpkin via Better Homes & Gardens
- Ribbon & Rickrack Pumpkin via Better Homes & Gardens
- Brass Tack Pumpkins via Madigan Made
Big Ole’ Softies
Forgo the fall fields and sew, knit or stuff your own pretty pumpkins (like these gorgeous chenille pumpkins in the photo that were featured on Erin's Art & Gardens), or warm up an existing pumpkin with a fuzzy covering of fabric or yarn. These decorative pumpkin ideas speak of the soft textures and warm feelings of all things autumn.
I absolutely love repurposing old items or finding untraditional uses for things, like A Diamond in the Stuff did with her gorgeous pumpkins she made from dryer vents (pictured). Use these creative pumpkin ideas to decorate or fashion your own eco-friendly orbs. Or use your imagination (and your junk!) to come up with your own.
- Pumpkin Can Buddies via Cupcakes & Crinoline
- Canning Ring Pumpkin via Simply Klassic
- Vintage Book Page Pumpkin via Itsy Bits & Pieces
- Scrap Paper Pumpkins via Craftaholics Anonymous
- Skeleton Key Pumpkins via Better Homes & Gardens
- Toilet Roll Pumpkin Garland via A Glimpse Inside
- Terra Cotta Pumpkin Pots via Kaboose
Color Your Pumpkin
When it comes to coloring a pumpkin, anything goes. I'm smitten with these beautifully dyed pumpkins (pictured) that Family Chic created. Paint, dye, decoupage or glitter can enhance, cover and completely transform a pumpkin into something elegant, something fun, something spooky or something outrageous. And many of these projects are great for little hands, making it fun for all ages!
- Chalk Paint Pumpkins via Perfectly Imperfect
- Distressed Pumpkins via Centsational Girl
- Frosted Pumpkins via Ladies Home Journal
- Patterned Pumpkins via Lolly Jane
- Argyle Pumpkins via Max & Ellie
- Glittered Pumpkins via Martha Stewart
- Ikat & Chevron Pumpkins via Alisa Burke
- Decoupaged Pumpkins via Confessions of a Plate Addict
Light 'Em Up
There's always a glow about autumn, so celebrate it by adding a light (or two or three) to your pumpkin. Or use a row of softly lit pumpkins to illuminate a path for those late night trick-or-treaters. If you'd like more sparkle to your life, try one of these ideas.
Hey, Your Pumpkin Looks Like…
Making your pumpkin look like your Uncle Archie is sure to scare trick-or-treaters, which could be kind of fun. But these pumpkin ideas are cuter and much more festive. So try your hand at one of these look-alike pumpkins.
- Caterpillar Pumpkins via Better Homes & Gardens
- Black Cat Pumpkin via Ladies Home Journal
- Ichabod Crane Pumpkins via Martha Stewart
- Burt & Ernie Pumpkins via Angie Naron on Flickr
- Hello Kitty Pumpkin via Pinterest
- Owl Pumpkins via Better Homes & Gardens
- Teddy Bear Pumpkin via Family
- Fairy House Pumpkin via Good Housekeeping
Just for Fun
Halloween and fall festivals should really be about one thing - fun. (And by the way, so should decorating!) These pumpkin ideas are nothing shy of fun, and they make pretty fun fall decorations too!