Target style expert and HGTV star and designer Sabrina Soto is truly an expert on all things home-related and has found success because of her amazing ability to transform plain jane interiors into fabulous spaces. So when Sabrina sent us an idea for coming up with frugal holiday decorating tips for small spaces, I knew this popular budget decorator would give us some expert holiday decorating advice.
As Target’s Style Expert for Home, Sabrina has brought luxury yet affordable home goods into easy reach of us all, and I love how Sabrina makes it look effortless to achieve a polished home at an reasonable price.
During the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we all need a little luxury at an affordable price. So enjoy these fun and festive holiday decorating tips from Sabrina, even if your budget and your home isn't big!From Target Style Expert for Home and HGTV Designer Sabrina Soto:
Just because you live in a small space, doesn’t mean you have to downsize holiday decorations. As a New Yorker living in a small apartment, I’ve discovered creative ways to bring merriment into my home this holiday season - without sacrificing space. Here are my top tips.
- Create a festive entryway. Welcome guests to your home in an entryway decked with holiday decor. Line your mirror with garland and add festive holiday candles, like the Melt Candles ($7.99 - $9.99) from Target, to your entryway table.
- If your dining room chairs are the right design, style them for a holiday party. Choose a colored ribbon that matches your tablescape and tie it in a pretty bow around each chair. Add a few complementary ornaments to finish off the look.
- Dress up doorways. Frame a doorway with evergreen garland. Hang ornaments in the garland and tuck Christmas cards into the greenery for a festive display.
- Makeover a mirror. Mirrors are one of my favorite small space accessories because they make a room appear bigger and brighter. During the holidays, they offer decorating space! Hang a wreath, like the Threshold silver wreath ($19.99), or a selection of your favorite ornaments along the top of the mirror to reflect holiday spirit into the room.
- Use vertical space for extra ornaments. Look for unexpected places – such as a chandelier, a window or over a doorway - to dangle a few for sparkle and cheer. This is a great trick because hanging pieces from the ceiling makes the eye look upward, making the room feel larger than it is.
- Don’t forget the tree. Just because you live in a small space, does not mean you have to sacrifice this traditional decoration. A tabletop tree will fit nicely on an entryway table or an end table in your living room. Add small ornaments to complete the look.
- Think “double duty” when decorating and setting up for the holidays. Another one of my favorite small space solutions is a storage ottoman. These are great, especially around the holidays, because they can be used as an extra seat or extra table when entertaining.
- Use your empty shelf space. Fill empty space on your bookcases and floating shelves with small, festive decor items. You can add anything - from mercury glass boxes to cable knit trees to Christmas figurines.