Wait! Don't throw that away! Transforming old, worn out or everyday items into Christmas decor is a great way to gain gorgeous holiday goodies on a dime - or even for free. And doing so is not only good for your wallet; crafting Christmas decor from old items is also good for our earth.These fun ideas require nothing more than basic crafting skills and a few old items that you may already have lying around your home. So let these easy tutorials and inspiring quick-to-make Christmas decor ideas help you reuse, reduce and recycle your way to a greener and more economical Christmas this year. (Psst... and they make great gifts, too!)
- What is a door during the Christmas season without a wreath? And these fun ideas will dress your door for a dime. Try your hand at this great reuse wreath idea made from vintage holiday records, or use old photo frames to make this memory wreath from Infarrantly Creative. For more easy wreath ideas, see our article.
- We always have a plethora of wine corks around my home, so transforming these into fun Christmas decor is going onto our holiday activity list this year. I love these little wine cork reindeer from Pretty Handy Girl, or try your hand at these cork wreaths via Live Pretty and Living Savvy.
- Money Saving Mom came up with this 2-minute Christmas potpourri idea when she had a few citrus fruits that were past their prime. To transform this goodie into a gift, see Mindy's cute idea.
- Don't throw away those old muffin tins! Her View From Home upcycled two in her cabinet into this nifty advent calendar. Carry the idea even further by filling it with 25 days of service or random kindness ideas instead of the traditional candy. (For more fun advent ideas, see our article.
- Oh, buttons. You gather around our homes like dust, especially since almost every clothing item purchased includes a few extras. Don't throw or stow them away; use them instead to make creative Christmas decor like a star decoration, wreath artwork, simple garland, tree ornament, gift tag or tree artwork.
- If you are looking for a simple and super quick idea for your table, this centerpiece uses nothing more than wine glasses, fresh greenery and inexpensive votives.
- Don't throw away those wrapping ribbon leftovers. Use them to create string art like this gorgeous ribbon star from Beyond the Picket Fence, or this simple string art from Enjoy It. If you have a lot of leftover yarn, check out this string art Christmas card display.
- My Salvaged Treasures put together a cute Christmas tree from vintage rulers. These rulers would also make cute holiday frames for frugal gifts for family and friends, or use them to frame old photos to hang on the tree.
- Holiday lettering is a great way to spread the message of cheer. Try your hand at these easy ornaments using old Scrabble tiles, or put together past-their-prime block play letters to spell a holiday message.
- Want more ideas? This repurposed old globe puts peace on earth this season. These punched tin ornaments can be made for free. This lampshade Christmas tree can be used indoors or out, and you can use these cute snowman bottle cap ornaments to decorate it!
DIY Ornament Ideas
Alternative Christmas Tree Ideas